IDAHOSA AND I


THE STRANGE VISION

The late Benson Idahosa was one man whose life and ministry greatly inspired me in my early days. 

In those days, he had a weekly Sunday broadcast that was aired on television called “Idahosa and You”, a recorded TV program of the Idahosa World Outreach television ministry (IWO TV). 

By the way, that’s from where I coined the title of this piece: “Idahosa and I”. To be clear, this topic has absolutely nothing to do with any spooky or silly belief of me being some kind of successor with the ‘spirit’, mantle or calling of Idahosa. No, no, no! Just to clear that out of any overreaching mind. I don’t claim to be any of it.

However, I know and admit that many of my experiences are connected to what I now do: bearing witness to the Truth.

So, I remember how I would hurry back home from Sunday church services before the program time, eagerly waiting for it to start showing on the TV. 

This should be sometime around the late 1980s.

I also remember that later on in my university days I read his biography, “Fire In His Bones: The Story of Benson Idahosa” written by Ruthanne Garlock. 

His story was inspiring and had an impression on me in a way that I didn’t then fully understand.

I was just passionate about knowing God and this led me to read a lot of books and to make certain life-changing, heartfelt prayers and some deep, personal consecrations to God in the secret place.

From an early age, I knew inwardly that I would preach the Gospel to the world, which I am doing now on the global stage and with universal tools in new media technology, including social media.

There is always a history and reason for things.

There is also a reason I do more of writing, which I have mentioned in an earlier writing.

As early as I can remember, I had this strong pull towards God and I remember my mom marveling and saying to me back then in the days that I was spending all my money to buy so many sermons, preaching and teaching messages on cassette tapes, compact discs (CDs/VCDs/DVDs) and books from different preachers. I would devour them with pure hunger and utmost focus. I spent a lot of time in solitude, alone with God, and still do.

I remember the passion I had for attending church programs, Gospel crusades, Word conferences and even Ministers/Leadership conferences without being a minister or a leader. It was a natural pull.

My passion led me to being chosen and elected into key presiding and leadership positions in the campus fellowship then and in the local church community after I left the university (college).

One of the remarkable things that occurred to me sometime before I left the university was a dream I had (more or less, a vision in my sleep).

I think it was not too long after he passed. 

It was a strange dream to me.

I don’t usually have such dreams. It was notable to me and I felt it vividly like it had a strong message.

I have seen (as I can recall) only two preachers in my dream. So a dream of this kind was memorable and instructive to me, as far as I was concerned.

I really don’t talk about dreams or such things like trances, visions or supernatural phenomena. For decades, I have not made this publicly known. I have told maybe only two people (one brother and one pastor) who were close to me at the time. 

Now, I sense the liberty to share it; for a reason.

In this dream, Idahosa was sitting down backing a church building, which looked like a white-painted bungalow, and many of my fellow young leaders on campus back then were in the building or standing in the doorway/entrance to the building, dressed in suits, holding microphones, gesticulating, speaking loudly, moving about, chatting excitedly, all showy and feeling cool about themselves as ministers.

But I saw myself sitting at his feet, on the ground, while he was sitting on a chair that had a backrest. It was like a deck/beach chair maybe made of cane.

Then I heard him say something to the effect of: “Listen to me: that is not what ministry is about.

He was referring to the young boisterous men.

I can’t remember everything that he said word for word but he was talking gently, calmly, in deep thought and with gravity in his words.

He was communicating solemnly to me that all those things—the fancy trappings, activities, pursuits and more importantly mindset/attitude weren’t what true spiritual ministry was about.

From his speech, I understood that he had made those mistakes and I should avoid the bandwagon, fanfare, attitude, mentality and philosophy (my words) of what those young people were erroneously thinking that “ministry” was about. 

He made me understand that was error.

It was a stern warning. A sobering message.

I was puzzled and deeply concerned; startled even.

As I awoke, I kept wondering about what he meant.

As I think about it today, it brings tears to my eyes and moves me deeply in my heart and my spirit.

As I prayed and pondered on it, the meaning became clearer to me: Ministry is not about the show and razzmatazz that accompanied it.

Over the years, it has become clearer to me.

But I don’t need such ethereal ‘visions’ now.

I have come to know and understand that the Scripture is complete, sufficient and inerrant.

I have also come to better understand what ministry is about.

That it is about knowing Christ, following Christ and proclaiming Christ to men through the Gospel. 

It is about teaching sound doctrine and growing believers in spiritual maturity and Christlikeness.

It is not about all the packaging and branding.

It isn’t essentially about the glitz and glam.

It is about Christ, His Word, His Truth, His Gospel.

It’s about eternal souls and shepherding God’s flock. 

It is not for status, money, fame or earthly glory.

It is about taking up your cross and following Christ.

I otherwise would have possibly launched out in error to start a so-called ministry or church without proper knowledge of sound doctrine like many preachers have done, most likely in sheer ambition, preaching a false gospel and leading many astray.

But from there, God led me through many thickets and turns of life events, windy experiences in the Charismatic Pentecostal circles, and through life-altering processes, to a sound understanding of the Gospel and knowledge of the True Christ, as seen in Scripture. It was how I came to know True Biblical Christianity, also known as ‘Reformed Theology’.

I now imagine if Idahosa was still alive to witness these times of doctrinal conflict, but I believe everyone exits at their time, after playing their part.

Benson Andrew Idahosa, a Nigerian Charismatic Pentecostal preacher, was born on 11 September 1938 and passed on 12 March 1998 in Benin City, Nigeria, having lived for 59 years and 6 months. 

Archbishop Benson Idahosa was popularly referred to as the father of Pentecostalism in Nigeria.

Many things to say about Pentecostalism and the True Gospel but I think I have said enough for this piece.

May we truly understand and present Christ to all.


____________

Dozie Osonkie 

TRUTH Advocacy!

Thought Leadership 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE ETHICAL BEAST

WHY TRUTH?

SCRIPTURE IS INERRANT AND SUFFICIENT